Monday, June 18, 2012

Home Alone

I am Home Alone.

Our 1st weekend in Houston actually climaxed in Galveston on Sunday. We dropped off the boys for a week at Sea Camp at Texas A&M University in Galveston. Oldest Son is in Coastal Ecology and Youngest Son is in Adventures in Marine Biology.
An odd foreshadowing sensation felt when dropping off boys at college dormitory. 
(Youngest Son unpacking in his room)
Commuter Husband choked up a bit as we drove off Sunday afternoon. I was perplexed since Commuter Husband will see them next weekend "as usual" and the boys have been to sleep-away camp in summers past. So why the sadness? Commuter Husband remarked that he will not get to Skype or talk with them this week ... heart thump ... the boys have a very loving and demonstrative father.

Mommy with Commuter Husband (me) did not react quite the same way. Honestly, I am looking forward to the one week interlude of no daily logistics to organize for Afternoon Nanny and the kids and the play dates and the Hebrew tutoring and the meals and ... all that stuff required to run a household and work full-time.

The weekend in Houston was a gift of precious family time.

The week away is a gift to our sons to help them be independent, foster a love for learning and support their personal life journey.

My week alone is the gift of much needed time to re-charge.

I hope this photo foreshadows a lifetime of brotherly love.
(Youngest Son and Oldest Son on Kemah Boardwalk.) 

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand your feelings that you write about... Although I do not have kids of my own, growing up there were 5 of us (4 brothers). I was slightly appreciating any time I'd have the house to "myself". So I get it on some level.... Makes seeing them all that much more special too!! You will be "recharged", LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow back at ya. 4 brothers is quite the dose of testosterone!

      Delete