Monday, February 4, 2013

Forever Part of a New Community

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, I was fortunate to have many friends and family members who connected me with breast cancer survivors. I talked, emailed and Facebook messaged with many. These remarkable women were ever so helpful. Truly.

And now I am forever a part of this community of women. This past weekend, a friend reached out to me when her mother was diagnosed. I talked with my friend and tried to be useful. As I so recently know, it can all be overwhelming when a woman starts down this life path.

I am still a bit overwhelmed. While the hard part is supposedly behind me, the healing process continues for an undetermined amount of time. The surgeon's nurse has prescribed Motrin every four hours and upper body exercises every two hours. Yes, it hurts. The left side is healing much better than the right. Sleeping is uncomfortable. These are the simple facts.

I am not sure if I will be at this stage for weeks or months. I can certainly do many things but I cannot be at 100% all day, every day. That is the real challenge for me. Slowing down. Declining invitations. Making choices. Dealing with limitations.

But I am always ever so grateful that I have these problems and not cancer, not radiation, not chemo.

I am one of the lucky ones. Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment