Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Kindness of Human Touch

I feel a sense of comfort. Oddly, the comfort is from the touch of a person I have only known thirty minutes. Her hand sits lightly on my right shoulder until the medical procedure is over. She watches over me, reading my expressions and asking with a slight Scottish accent if I am alright. 

I also feel surprise. Surprised that the touch matters. 

I have started the day with my usual stoicism. By definition, being stoic is to be indifferent to pain. However, I am eased by this kind nurse who ignores my calm front. We have become a society that is touch phobic and guarded. However, appropriate physical contact is an important part of human to human interactions.

I will remember this lesson of human touch. I will try to pass it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment