Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday with army men et al

Youngest Son's Army Men surround the (1) antique box from India I gave Commuter Husband when we were dating, (2) Oldest Son's Bar Mitzvah Book, (3) a fossil from Commuter Husband's keepsakes, (4) precious custom art gifted from an even more special friend, (5) Israeli pottery shards, (6) Youngest Son's hand crafted metal Shofar blower from Yad Lakashish in Jerusalem and (7) hand woven coasters from our Mexico stay all resting on (8) the chest from my Granny's house.
Our Commuter Family lifestyle lends itself to constant motion. Our Summer was continuous movement. I tend to be an adrenaline experience junkie so when "things" settle down I can often feel lost at first.
----------------------------------------------
10:30am Sunday Morning
Our ranch house has a large front room with two bay windows overlooking the neighborhood greenbelt. This room has been configured many ways over the last 17 years. Currently, we have an antique rectangular dining table and the boys' desks. In this room, our family settled today.

Commuter Husband sat at one end of the dining table with a laptop calculating our quarterly taxes. I placed myself at the opposite end with two laptop computers where I multi-tasked on household items on my Apple and work tasks on my Dell. Oldest Son sat at his desk with his laptop completing his English assignment.

Youngest Son, having completed his homework, got busy setting up his Army men all around us. My favorite part of the morning was listening to him strategize under his breath as he disappeared into his childhood world - physically beside us but deep into his imagination.

12:00pm Sunday Midday
Commuter Husband and Youngest Son warm up Rosh Hashanah roast leftovers and cut up apples to dip in honey. Oldest Son practices his summer reading book speech while I time him on my iPhone stop watch. Then, the four of us gather around our kitchen table to share lunch. I never, ever take for granted these moments around the table.

1:30pm Sunday Afternoon
Youngest Son naps recovering from a new friend's sleepover birthday party. Oldest Son opens the New York Times to peruse the sports page. Commuter Husband finishes laundry and heads down the hall to get in the shower. I focus on getting ready for Commuter Husband's 54th birthday which we will celebrate this Sunday Evening (one day early since Commuter Husband will be in Houston tomorrow.)

3:30 Sunday Afternoon
After returning from grocery store, Commuter Husband takes Youngest Son to Temple to practice Shofar for Yom Kippur. Oldest Son is working with his writing coach. I am writing this blog.
--------------------------------------------------

The rhythms of this typical Sunday help me to adjust to the daily life of work, school, kids, spouse, house, friends, etc. I will try to not be distracted by my next idea or game plan or humanitarian cause but I will not be entirely successful. I will be conscious that balance IS important for me and my family. I will also have a sense of acceptance coupled with humor. Mostly though, I will appreciate these moments on this typical Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment