Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Movie Night

Tonight was risky ...

Me enthusiastically "Do you want to go to a movie with me tonight?"
Youngest Son with no emotion "What movie?"
Me with matter of fact voice "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl"
Youngest Son immediately "No."
Me with slight lilt "It is better than sitting at home doing nothing."
Youngest Son with resignation "Okay."


With sincere excitement, I purchased online tickets from a theater with those amazing reclining red leather chairs. I packed up a couple small fleece blankets and off we went. With a medium popcorn, sour candy, chocolate covered raisins and a bottle of water, we snuggled in to watch the previews.

Previews are always fun. There is something universally appealing about watching trailers and making judgements. There are always the whispers of "I want to see that" and "that looks good" and "I have no interest" and "no way."

Then the main feature begins and there is that small jolt of a anticipation arrived.

I shared tonight's movie experience with Youngest Son newly turned 13. There was crass humor and rough language. There was hysterical laugh out loud parts. And Youngest Son checked my reactions as tears rolled down my face.

My 13 year old says this movie and the actors should be nominated for Academy Awards. We discussed the character development on the way home. Which character was developed best? Which part was best cast? Ed Sheeran's song Photograph came on the radio and Youngest Son comments that it [the song] should have been in the movie.

Youngest Son with maturity "That is the best original movie I have seen."

Tonight was risky. Tonight was great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment