Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Embracing My Flatness

I get to wear these cute kinds of shirts now!
I am 17 months beyond my bilateral mastectomy (BMX.) 

I HAD breast cancer:

  • DCIS - Ductal Carcinoma In Sutra
  • Noninvasive
  • Intermediate to High Grade
  • Found in routine mammogram with follow up stereotactic biopsy

My treatment choices meant:

  • No additional types of cancer found in the final pathology report so no oncologist and no chemotherapy
  • No radiation and no tamoxifen (hormone drugs) because I chose a BMX (versus a lumpectomy)
  • No more medical procedures or risk of additional infection because I chose no reconstruction

I am lucky, lucky, lucky for so many reasons.

I do have shoulder issues which I believe to be tied to the breast cancer surgeries. I have an orthopedic appointment this month. Oh well, that is life. It will not kill me.

I have fully and comfortably embraced my flat chest. 

I enjoy the beautiful scarves - most of which were gifts from all the caring people in my life. However, the Texas heat is not always conducive to extra layers and I do not attempt to camouflage what is just not there either. Frankly, no bra totally works for me and I can wear certain shirts now that would have not have worked with my not-so-small breasts before BMX.


I have not completed genetic testing yet. That is hopefully the final chapter ...

No comments:

Post a Comment