First Driver and First Car
Commuter Husband and I spent a considerable amount of time determining what was best for Oldest Son and our family as he turns sixteen and can drive. Here are our guiding principles for Oldest Son:
- Complete all requirements of online drivers ed before age sixteen - DONE
- Take drivers test at age 16 and contribute the the family chauffeur service immediately - SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 23
Then we had to decide how to provide Oldest Son's with his first car so here is what we did:
- Considered passing along our Prius but decided we were uncomfortable with safety level and high milage. We wanted a vehicle that will get him through high school and college.
- Reviewed list of safest used cars for teens and looked under small SUVs
- Picked the safest ones in our price range (target 12K) and without fancy options
- Found exactly two used car choices meeting our criteria and we decided the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES (base level) would be the one Oldest Son would prefer
- Bought a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES with less than 10,000 miles! We had to go a little over budget but not much and we have 3 years of factory warranty left. Commuter Husband did a great job finding this deal!
We surprised Oldest Son as part of our annual Valentines Day celebration.