Monday, November 11, 2013

Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, Battalion Commander

My Little Brother and my nieces - the soldier and the father.
After graduating with a political science degree, my Little Brother enlisted with the United States Army. He went in as a regular soldier and earned his way into Officer Candidate School. My grandmother (who helped raise us) died while he was at OCS and we waited to tell him because we knew he needed to focus and stay the course at OCS

Little Brother soon went through Ranger training which had three phases. I met him at DFW airport as he transitioned from Phase 2 to Phase 3. He was 20 lbs lighter and we both teared up upon seeing each other. He earned his elite forces Ranger Tab.

He spent an incredible year as aid-de-camp to a three star general which afforded him the opportunity to be in the White House with President Obama and meet with the leader of Puerto Rico among other once in a lifetime experiences.

I have visited him at the approximately ten places he has lived except one. I did not visit him while he was in Iraq for 15 months. His wife was left alone in upstate New York, Fort Drum, to care for children ages 8 and 5 and a sweet baby girl.

My Little Brother has over 20 years of service now and leads a Recruiting Battalion in the Pacific Northwest as a Lieutenant Colonel

I am continually impressed with this Little Brother and the choices he makes for his country and his family as a soldier, husband, father, grandson, uncle and brother. Oldest Son and Youngest Son know and love their uncle. He is the uncle who skis with them and plays basketball with them and proudly wears a United States Army uniform.

This was written about my Little Brother. It pretty much says it all.


"You're a Soldiers leader and I and my Soldiers always knew it and appreciated it. Some people are great leaders, some are good men, very few are both."

My Little Brother is not alone - not by a long shot. There have been and are many soldiers in all branches of the military protecting our freedoms. There is not a word big enough to convey our gratitude ...

No comments:

Post a Comment